No one wants to catch a cold, but can the appliance that’s keeping you cool make you sick?
The short answer is: no, air conditioners do not make you sick. They do, however, redistribute air throughout a home, and it’s the quality of the air in the home that ultimately can affect the health of the household. If you have poor air quality in your home, that can cause sickness. That’s why good housekeeping, yearly AC servicing, and air duct cleaning in North Port FL are so important.
How does poor air quality affect your health?
More often than not, the air quality of a home is directly associated with the health of the home’s inhabitants.
- Things like pet dander, pet hair, and dust can make their way into your air create particulates that can decrease air quality and affect allergies as well as cause other health issues.
- Mold and mildew in bathrooms or caused by water leaks can also negatively affect air quality and your health.
- Additionally, AC units have the potential to create mold and mildew, adding to the problem.
When the air quality in a home suffers, so will the homeowners. Poor air quality amplifies cold-like symptoms, including allergies, asthma, poor sleep, and low energy.
6 Things You Do To Improve the Air Quality of Your Home?
The bottom line is this: the cleaner the air, the healthier the home. In order to improve indoor air quality, homeowners should do the following:
- Change their AC filters often. A good AC filter is key. Skip the cheap filters and buy something decent that will do a good job. If you have pets, get filters that are rated for pets and can help catch the hair and dander.
- Keep liter boxes, pet cages, and other animal areas as clean as possible and positioned away from air ducts and vents.
- Keep your home as clean as possible, too.
- Another great step is to have your AC unit serviced once a year and get your air ducts cleaned out. Pet dander, dust, construction and demolition dust and debris can all get stuck and trapped in air ducts, causing the air quality to be reduced. Having your air ducts cleared and cleaned will greatly benefit the air quality in your home.
- You might also consider getting a blue tube UV light installed to help improve air quality, too.
- Don’t leave your windows and doors open. When outside temperatures cools down, a lot of people like to open their windows to get “fresh air” in the house. What you are actually doing, though, is letting pollutants into your house, including grass dander and pollen. This can clog you’re AC filter and reduce the air quality of your home.
Air conditioners make air cold. They don’t make you sick. The important thing to remember is that keeping your indoor air quality as clean as possible is what makes the biggest difference.
For inquiries about air duct cleaning in North Port FL, AC servicing, or blue tube UV light installation, get in touch with Kirkus Aire today at (941)240-8600. We are an AC company here to answer any questions you might have and keep your home cool, clean, and safe.