Over the years, the components and basic functionality of air conditioners has not changed much. Manufacturers have worked to make units more efficient, for example, but the ins and outs of A/C systems have remained largely unchanged. What has changed in recent years, however, is the thermostat and the use of smart-home technology. Air conditioning companies in Port Charlotte have seen an increase in the number of home owners changing out their old thermostat for a smart version.
What are the benefits of smart-house technology for your A/C unit?
Air conditioning companies in Port Charlotte should know that smart-house technology, more specifically smart thermostats, do offer benefits.
- Lower Costs: Homeowners may be able to reduce their electric bill each month. By controlling the temperature in your home to allow it to be a little warmer during the day and cooler at night, your unit will not have to work as hard and thus use less energy. Thermostats which aren’t smart, but can be programmed can do this as well, but if you are in and out of the house at different hours throughout the week, it makes preprogramming difficult or impossible.
- Convenience: Smart thermostats also possess the convenience to control their home temperature remotely without getting a whole new A/C unit. Smart-thermostats can be installed and synced up to a smart phone or a smart home device where temperature can be pre-set or controlled by the tap of a screen. So, if you want to turn on the heat or tell the house to cool down when you leave work, it can be at the perfect temperature by the time you get home.
Many homeowners find that changing to a smart thermostat is worth it for these reasons.
What are the downsides of smart thermostats?
- Installation can be tricky: Something to lookout for, however, is correct installation of a smart thermostat. If you’ve decided to perform a DIY installation, be sure to take your time and read the installation instructions completely and thoroughly. Doing so will allow your A/C to continue running smoothly with less of a chance of technical issues down the road.
- Smart Tip: Consider purchasing only a smart thermostat, not a package deal. For example, some smart home systems include a home alarm system, the thermostat, and other features. Purchasing a smart thermostat only will keep servicing and A/C maintenance simpler for both you and your AC service person.
- Glitches: As with any kind of technology, smart thermostats could encounter a glitch or technical difficulty from time to time. This may be something to consider if you are not comfortable working with technology and the possibility of an occasional troubleshoot. Many homeowners still use a regular thermostat for their air conditioning in Port Charlotte FL.
Overall, the choice is in the hands of the homeowner. Smart thermostats won’t make the actual A/C unit run any cleaner or better, but they can help save homeowners time and money. If that sounds appealing, a smart thermostat may be a smart choice for you.
For questions about smart home technology and air conditioning in Port Charlotte FL, get in touch with Kirkus Air at (941)240-8600. We will gladly answer your questions and help you determine if a smart thermostat would be a good fit for you.